GUEST VISITOR TO UCLA EXTENSION PROGRAMME OFFERS CAMPAIGN INSIGHTS TO COLLEGES & HEI!
Entertainment PR Diane Hinds taught Campaigning & Persuasive Skills at the University of Westminster, teaching on its BA: Public Relations & Advertising course. It covered diverse topics such as ‘Human Interest’ campaigning, ‘Heritage Campaigns’ and more.
She brought her ‘real world’ experience to students and engaged them with several talks. Presentations include:
- Opera singer Lesley Garrett: From Doncaster Diva to 6 No. 1 Classical albums and Britain’s best selling soprano.
- Anne Perry - Maintaining the profile of an important British Writer.
- Lisa Potts GM - The Machete Heroine to Charity Campaigner.
- How To Promote Your Book: Aimed At The Independent Writer.
Diane set up The Entertainment Bureau Ltd and has diversified into delivering her PR technique talks, which also include ‘How To Promote Your Book’ and ‘Getting Your Message Across’, which is also a one-day workshop, to literary festivals, libraries, and Writers’ Groups throughout the UK and in California.
She is also a film producer, having devised a series of ‘how to write’ films under the banner “Put Your Heart On The Page” for her client Anne Perry. These include ‘An Introduction To Writing’, ‘Plotting To Enrich Your Back Story’ and ‘Developing Your Characters’ was released in May 2017. All three are available to buy on Amazon.com. The fourth and final film ‘Re-writes’ is currently in post production.
In 2010 Diane felt compelled to enter Higher Education in response to the changing technological world around her and began a BA: Public Relations course at the University of Westminster. In her second year, second semester Diane was bitten by the learning bug and wanted to do more and transferred to a MA to explore Cultural Studies as part of her Film & TV (Theory, Culture & Industry) course, graduating in 2014.
By now, through friends of her writer client Anne Perry, Diane was invited to teach PR Techniques on the Victoria Zackheim Personal Essay Writing Course as part of the UCLA Extension programme. She visits on average three times a year and continues to do so.
Whilst studying for her MA she bumped into her Course Leader on the BA, in a cafe in Hampstead, who enquired about how her studies were going and subsequently invited her to present a campaign study on which she worked. The ‘Human Interest’ presentation was well received. The same Course Leader subsequently invited Diane to join her as a Visiting Lecturer, co-teaching the module Campaigning & Persuasive Skills to 80 first year students. The course became the no. 1 PR course in the UK, according to the Guardian League table.
Diane is mother to two children and lives with Sickle Cell Disease.
Notes For Course Leaders:
- Diane devised a pocket guide to accompany her talks ‘How To Promote Your Book’, which is available on amazon.com.
- Over 70 talks have been delivered to literary festivals and libraries throughout the UK, with more to come which include The Festival of Chichester.
- Her PR clients included, EMI Classics, Lesley Garrett, CBE; Nigel Kennedy,, Nathan Carter, Chimes International concert promoters, Arista Records, Mitchell Beasley, Hodder Headline, Osprey and many more. She continues to work for Kennedy Street concert promoters, Anne Perry, UCLA etc.
- “Dear Diane. Your event went out on our enewsletter and sold out in a nano second! I was wondering if there was any chance you might be willing/able to do a second run of it as I’m sure we could easily fill another session? If so, perhaps you would be kind enough to suggest some dates?” Best wishes Emma Marlow, Head of Marketing The London Library
- “Your willingness to share your message with us--your mission--your generosity sets a high bar for future presenters. I'll be following you on Twitter and will chime in with enthusiasm where helpful. All the best, Sandra Yeaman (President, San Diego Writers/Editor Guild).
- "Well thank you for taking the time to come and talk to people. You really inspired the attendees to go out there and promote their books, blogs and web pages. It was fantastic to watch and I also got a lot out of it and gleaned some great ideas on how to promote our events for the future. Some of the older people booked with our computer buddies, asking for help with using computers and technology which was also encouraging to see.” Nicky Grigg, Lincoln Central Library
- “ .. thank you too very much Diane for generously delivering two high quality events for our Autumn programme. I am so pleased w/ the response and take up by the local community. We would certainly like to have you back again for our Spring programme and so I will be in touch late Oct / early Nov. It will be a pleasure to have you back." Sarah Smith, Development Manager, The Library @ Willesden Green
- "Thank you very much for your advise. I’ll definitely follow up what you suggested.” Mireia Holmes, ‘Weigh Yourself Slim.’
- "Thank you for the opportunity to learn from you the inner workings of PR, through a series of informative and valuable sessions on how to promote my business effectively. The guidance and support received was more than I had expected and was very enjoyable. The sessions really boosted my confidence and understanding of PR. I am sure that the knowledge and skills I gained will now help me to make my business more successful." Glenda Luke Designs
- "I attended Diane’s PR workshop at the Willesden Library in October and since then, I have been interviewed on London Live TV, BBC Radio (twice), The Voice and RJR Radio in the space of 1 month! As they say, results speak for themselves. Diane continues to support me with coaching and introductions to media executives. I highly recommend the workshop. (Omo Alokwe, Guinness World Record Aspirant)
- Thank you very much for the opportunity to present How To Promote Your Book last night. There was a tremendous energy there and they were most engaged. The evening went so quickly. (Dionne Hood, Bradford Central Library).
- “Following on from the success of your lunchtime talk in September, I would be thrilled if you would consider hosting a similar talk at Chichester Library as part of the Festival of Chichester 2017? … Rebecca Robertson, Chichester Library.
If you would like to consider these talks for your College or Higher Education Institute, please feel free to contact Diane Hinds by email: info@TheEntertainmentBureau.co.uk.